January 29, 2016

2016 Hawaii - Oahu (Day 8)

Michael arrived last night on a delayed flight. We got to a late start and fished around Makapu'u. Michael targeted a bunch of new lifer species that I had already caught, so I focused on those Moray in the rocks. I hooked into the big Undulated Moray twice. First time the fish rocked me, second time the hook was straightened out. Michael gave the same eel a go as well but the eel rocked him yet again. After the third time, the Moray went away.

Here I was trying to pull the Moray out on a 30lb class trolling rod. It wasn't even close to pulling the Moray out of its hole.

We then moved to Makai Pier so Michael can pick at more species. I fished bread hoping to catch the Bluespine Unicornfish, Orangespine Unicornfish and other herbivores. I caught lots of reef fish, Millet Butterflyfish, Threadfin Butterflyfish, Saddle Wrasse, Green Damselfish, Hawaiian Gregory, Hawaiian Dascyllus...etc...but none of the targets I wanted could get at the bait with all these bait thieves around.

After a while, a Spotfin Porcupinefish joined the party. Since I had already caught one, I gave Michael first try at it. The fish refused his suspended chunk of squid. I decided to try for it and it rather fancied my squid that was resting on the bottom.

I returned to bread fishing and was merely feeding the fish until the last drop when I finally hooked a juvenile Yellowfin Surgeonfish fairly.

Yellowfin Surgeonfish (Acanthurus xanthopterus) - Species #511

To top off a fun afternoon session, we saw a great sunset (as always) near Hawaii Kai.

No comments:

Post a Comment