June 1, 2014

Smallest fly - no target but managed a lifer

While trying to figure out how to catch Alewife the other day, I saw some Stickleback in the shallows. My guess was that these are Three-spined Stickleback. The Stickleback wouldn't take the flake of worm, but they attacked the swivels and splitshot with gusto. I thought that a dark coloured fly might get the Stickleback to bite firmly, so this was the result.

Smallest fly I've ever tied.

Even though it was a simple nymph pattern, it took me over 10 minutes to tie. Since the hook wire is so thin, I cannot put too much pressure on the wrap in fear of bending or even breaking off the hook point.

Before trying for the Three-spined Stickleback, I went to a little pond where Michael found Northern Redbelly Dace. The pond was in such beautiful setting.

I had not catch a Northern Redbelly Dace before, but Michael reassured me that it was not hard. There were schools after schools of Northern Redbelly Dace and it took all of 30 seconds to catch one.

Northern Redbelly Dace (Chrosomus eos) - Species #390

Well, the fly worked for these guys. How about Stickleback?

So I went to a little spot where I knew Brook Stickleback existed. I could see some Brook Stickleback on nests and females were visiting the nest on occasion. They were not really in the mood to bite, perhaps too busy spawning. However, I did get a couple to finally take the hook.

So the fly worked for Brook Stickleback. It should work for Three-spined Stickleback too, right?

WRONG!

Sticklebacks sucked and spat the fly so fast that I didn't even have time to set the hook. I tried to tip the fly with a flake of worm but that did not induce more hits or a longer hold.

Well, back to the drawing board...the battle continues...

We spent the rest of the evening fishing for Alewife again, Richard, Michael and I. Michael got his lifer Alewife in no time and we kept some Alewife for future salmon bait. It was a fun filled afternoon of quickie fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment